Search Posts

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Anime Conji





Ryan and I took the bus out to Hillcrest today and walked on over to Hotel Circle in order to attend San Diego's first Anime Conji. The first day of this small fledgling convention was more than a tad disappointing, but I guess it is my fault for expecting much out of a small fledgling convention. Downstairs in the lobby area, there were groups of お宅 romping around and speaking a bit too loudly, hoping that the references they were making would be be overheard and acknowledged by others. It's a sort of nerdy social display that I've come to recognize. Down the hall, there were rooms showing アニメ. "I could've stayed home and done that," I grumbled under my breath.

Upstairs there were various vendors selling trinkets--some handmade. J-List/J-Box was present, with a $5 T-shirt box. They didn't have as much variety of stock as they usually have at Comic Con, which, we are opting out of this year by the way.

One thing I was very interested in attending is the Mochi Maid Cafe. Unfortunately, due to an overwhelming response, they handed out wristbands before they actually opened and, so, when we headed on over at the time during which they were to open, we were turned away.
shodō

I was ready to damn this convention straight to 外人 hell as we made our way back to the stairs, planning a quick get-away. Just before we approached the stairs, however, I spotted a room with a floor covered with red cloth. Three friendly 日本人 were in there who welcomed us to try 書道, Japanese calligraphy. The experience was satisfying and heart-warming. It turns out I hadn't wasted my time traveling to Anime Conji.

I apologize if I sound a bit too negative or perhaps over judgmental of this very new convention. I must admit I may have been a bit edgy since I have been battling with agoraphobia and generalized anxiety for a little less than a year now. The area at which Anime Conji is being held is quite beyond my ever-expanding comfort zone and I had a few panic attacks along the way. If you've ever had a substantial panic attack before, you know that whatever lies beyond that panic attack, better be pretty freaking worth the suffering!A

No comments:

Post a Comment